Read, Achieve, Succeed
‘Read, Achieve, Succeed’ is a trust-wide initiative which runs across both the Oldham and Derby academies. Our CEO, Antony Hughes, has a strong commitment and passion for reading and wanted all Harmony Children to share in this with him. The initiative was launched in September 2016 as a commitment to develop Reading for Pleasure and to ensure that all children have a book of their own for each year that they attend a Harmony Trust academy.
Research by The National Literacy Trust has found that children who own their own books are more likely to achieve higher educational outcomes that those without. They also found that children who regularly enjoy reading, are three times more likely to have higher levels of mental well-being than those who do not.
The initiative is now led by Ms Jessica Hainsworth with a R.A.S. lead in each academy. They are responsible for implementing a range of events across the academic year which inspire children to engage with, and become active readers.
‘Read, Achieve, Succeed’ at Northmoor
Recent ‘Read, Achieve, Succeed’ activities at Northmoor include:
- ‘Read, Achieve, Succeed — Book for Every Child’ assemblies followed by our very own pop-up bookshop.
Some of our KS1 children enjoying their new books in the sun.
- CEO Bookclub and Academy Book Clubs. This is an opportunity for children to read and talk and share opinions about books as a group. They then feed this back to their school through assemblies and Amazon Reviews.
- The Library Pledge. By the end of 2019, all children will have visited their local library, with a majority having their own library card.
- Wake up with a Story. This is an opportunity for children to share their books with their parents as they come into school.
Visitors. Visits from external providers including The Pop Project and Bringing Books to Life.
Reception enjoying a visitor
- Character Dress up Day and Vocabulary Parades. For the recent World Book Day, children dressed up as their favourite words or characters from stories.
Read, Achieve, Success is kindly supported by our partners Madeleine Lindley. Follow them on @teacher_books
To find out more about Read, Achieve, Succeed events in all our academies, search the hashtag #ReadAchieveSucceed on Twitter.